Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Gulf Stream

We crossed the Gulf Stream between Miami and the Bahamas. It was a very memorable experience.

The gulf stream is a warm Atlantic current that runs north from the gulf of Mexico past the strait of Florida, and continues northward all the way to Northern Europe. Where we crossed, the current was around 3.5 knots (nautical miles per hour), and the wind was around 15 knots out of the north. We could tell once we had entered the stream because: (1) we knew about how many miles offshore it was flowing, (2) The GPS magnetic heading readings from our electronic chart plotter were about 15 degrees different than the heading on our compass, and (3) the wave and swell pattern was all crazy, making the boat jolt around as unpredictably as an untamed bronco boat.

At the end of my 5:00 to 8:00 AM shift, I went below to find that I had a leaky roof in my beloved V-Berth: seawater had infiltrated my bed and clothes! As I cleaned up, the confused motion of the Gulf Stream combined with the opposing wind made feel truly seasick for the first time in my life. I stumbled back above deck for a breath of fresh air, ate some prunes to cheer up, and lay down in the port side quarter berth next to Adam's guitar. I had an important conversation with my inner ear and fell asleep for 3 hours.

The next day we arrived in Great Harbor, Bahamas on a beautiful sunny day, with accessible laundry and shower facilities at the marina. The passage was over!